Lychee production brings revenue of US$233 million to Bac Giang farmers

Thursday, 2017-08-03 04:32:18
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

Lychee production brings revenue of US$233 million to Bac Giang farmers
 Font Size:     |  

NDO – Lychee production has brought the highest revenue recorded in the past 60 years, totalling a sum of VND 5.3 (US$233 million) to farmers in the northern province of Bac Giang during this year’s fruit crop, announced the provincial People’s Committee on August 2.

Despite a drop of 40% in output over the previous year to 91,000 tonnes due to unfavourable weather conditions, this year’s lychee was sold at VND40,000 - VND 60,000 per kilogramme, the price rose to VND 83,000, almost doubling the 2016 crop.

According to the Director of the provincial Department of Industry and Trade, Tran Quang Tan, 60% of lychee planted in Bac Giang was consumed domestically, and the remaining 40% was exported with the province’s lychee export revenue totalling more than US$90 million.

In addition to traditional export markets such as China, the US, Australia, EU, and Japan, lychee also penetrated a number of new markets this year, such as Dubai, Netherlands and Thailand.

In this year’s crop, lychee plantation area totalled 30,000 hectares in the province, including 12,800 hectares of lychee grown following VietGAP standards.