Monument dedicated to Gac Ma soldiers inaugurated in Khanh Hoa province

Saturday, 2017-07-15 11:44:40
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

The ribbon-cutting ceremony for the memorial complex (Credit: tienphong.vn)
 Font Size:     |  

NDO – A ceremony was held in Cam Hai Dong commune, Cam Lam district, Khanh Hoa province on July 15 to inaugurate the first phase of the memorial complex dedicated to Gac Ma soldiers, as part of the activities to celebrate the 70th anniversary of War Invalids and Martyrs (July 27, 1947-2017).

The construction of the memorial complex, which aims to pay tribute to 64 soldiers who laid down their lives in the 1988 naval battle to protect Gac Ma Island of Vietnam's Truong Sa (Spratly) archipelago, began in March 2015

Encompassing an area of 2.5 hectares, the complex includes a monument, an exhibition house for artifacts and a system of green trees.

The project was initiated by the Vietnam General Confederation of Labour in March 2014 with funds raised from trade unions, workers, organisations and benefactors in Vietnam and from abroad.

Addressing the ceremony, the VGCL’s Vice President Tran Thanh Hai expressed his deep gratitude to the heroic Vietnamese mothers, sick and wounded soldiers, the relatives of martyrs and revolutionary contributors.

He emphasised that the memorial complex is considered as a symbol of the patriotism, willpower and solidarity of the Vietnamese army and people, highlighting the spirit of maintaining national independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity.

On the occasion, the VGCL received VND20 billion from trade unions across all levels for construction of the second phase of the memorial complex for Gac Ma soldiers and Hoang Sa (Paracel) archipelago in Ly Son island, Quang Ngai province.

The federation also presented VND30 million each to the relatives of 11 martyrs.