Long An and Hai Phong FCs strictly punished for misconduct in V-League

Wednesday, 2017-02-22 11:36:27
 Font Size:     |        Print

Long An goalkeeper Nguyen Minh Nhut turns his back in protest as the penalty kick is successfully dispatched.
 Font Size:     |  

NDO – Long An FC were fined VND100 million (US$4,400) for their bizarre protest after conceding a soft penalty in the V-League Round 6 clash against hosts Ho Chi Minh City at Thong Nhat Stadium last weekend.

The fine was announced by the Vietnam Football Federation (VFF)’s Disciplinary Committee at a meeting in Hanoi on February 21.

In addition, the club’s individuals and players relating to the case were also strictly punished for their misconduct, with goalkeeper Nguyen Minh Nhut and captain Huynh Quang Thanh suspended from VFF-managed football activities for two years.

Long An manager Ngo Quang Sang and President Vo Thanh Nhiem have been banned from participating in VFF-managed football activities for three years for having interrupted the match, disrespected the referee’s decision, violated the responsibilities of clubs when joining Vietnam’s professional football tournament and damaged the reputation and honour of the VFF and Vietnamese football.

On the same day, former President of Long An FC Vo Thanh Nhiem officially extended an apology to the VFF and fans for the club’s shameful actions.

Earlier on February 19, after conceding a soft penalty in the 80th minute with the score locked at 2-2, the Long An players decided to boycott the rest of the match. The players of the visiting side walked off the pitch in protest and were ordered to return to the field for the game five minutes later.

However, goalie Minh Nhut turned his back as the penalty kick was successfully converted, with his teammates standing on the edge of the area.

The situation became worse after the restart as Long An continued their demonstration by refusing to engage with Ho Chi Minh City, letting the ball roll into the net twice in quick succession and leaving the final score at 5-2 in favour of the home side.

Long An’s responses and conduct were severely criticised by the public and critics for interrupting the match, disrespecting spectators and the referee’s decision and defaming reputations of the VFF and Vietnamese football.

In addition to Long An, Hai Phong FC were fined VND50 million (US$2,200) after letting local supporters cause a disturbance, throwing bottles on the field and insulting VFF officials and Hanoi FC players during and after the sixth-round match at Lach Tray Stadium on February 16.