Late resurgence rescues Hanoi FC’s hopes for maiden National Cup trophy

Thursday, 2018-07-26 03:16:11
 Font Size:     |        Print

Hanoi FC's forward Van Quyet (in purple) in action during the match. (Photo: Zing)
 Font Size:     |  

NDO – Two late goals scored by Hung Dung and Moses rescued Hanoi FC’s hopes for a first-ever National Cup trophy, as Chu Dinh Nghiem’s side played out a hard-fought 3-3 draw against Becamex Binh Duong in the first leg of the 2018 semifinals on July 25.

The capital team showed their determination for a home win by naming their best players in the starting lineup.

Despite their superiority, the current V.League frontrunners could not prevent Binh Duong from scoring the opening goal of the match, with Dinh Hoang Max firing a free-kick into the goal from nearly 30 metres after 28 minutes.

Hoang Vu Samson headed home Van Quyet’s cross to equalise the score in the 35th minute, only to see his efforts quickly cancelled out by To Van Vu, who restored the guests’ lead only three minutes later.

Becamex Binh Duong's To Van Vu celebrates scoring a goal during the match. (Photo: Zing)

The game became increasingly difficult for Hanoi FC as To Van Vu completed his double eight minutes into the second half with a close-range finish from a cornerkick that put Binh Duong in front 3-1.

In such a tough situation, the solid mentality of the current V.League leaders shone through. Hanoi’s attacks became more dangerous with the appearance of substitutes Thanh Luong and Oseni onto the field.

The home side’s constant pressure finally paid off in the 69th minute as Hung Dung produced a lightning shot to reduce the gap by 2-3 for Chu Dinh Nghiem’s side.

Moses celebrates scoring Hanoi FC's third goal during the match. (Photo: Zing)

Inspired by the goal, Hanoi FC continued their attacking waves, which earned them a third goal and also a precious equaliser by Moses six minutes later.

With the first-leg draw, the opportunity to make the finals is evenly balanced for both Becamex Binh Duong and Hanoi FC, ahead of their second-leg semifinal match on September 5.

In the other first-leg semifinal earlier the same day, Song Lam Nghe An edged out FLC Thanh Hoa with a score of 3-2, which gifted them a very huge advantage before taking on the Thanh Hoa team at Vinh stadium in the second leg on September 5.