Localities strengthen COVID-19 preventive measures

Tuesday, 2020-03-24 09:33:29
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

Passengers enter medical surveillance at Cat Bi International Airport in Hai Phong City. (Photo: NDO/Ngo Quang Dung)
 Font Size:     |  

NDO – Localities across the nation are strengthening active measures to cope with the spread of COVID-19, with Vietnam’s total of confirmed cases now at 123.

>>> Foreign Ministry urges Vietnamese citizens to refrain from travels

>>> Deputy PM: Vietnam in good control of COVID-19

>>> Vietnam now in third phase of COVID-19 combat: PM

On Monday (Mar 23), the Ministry of Health (MoH) confirmed ten more cases who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19 (patients from No. 114 to 123), bringing the total in Vietnam to 123 so far.

Among them is a 29-year-old doctor of the Emergency Department under the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases No. 2 in Hanoi. He has been involved in the screening of suspected COVID-19 cases and treatment of confirmed cases since January 31.

The MoH said he was fully equipped with protective gear at work. After work, he stayed in an isolated area reserved for medical staff at the hospital. He is being treated at the hospital and is in stable health.

* The MoH has issued a "Provisional Guide to COVID-19 Testing" with a list of 22 laboratories authorised to carry out tests to confirm the disease. The Ministry of Health requires that the 22 laboratories comply with the testing procedures and methods according to the instructions from the manufacturers of diagnostic bio-products and the recommendations from the World Health Organisation and the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention to assure test quality and biosafety.

* On Monday afternoon, at a meeting of the Hanoi Steering Committee for Disease Prevention and Control, a representative from Hanoi Health Department said that from Mar 17 to 23, there were 26 new cases detected in the capital city, who are mostly people that have returned from abroad.

Chairman of Hanoi People's Committee Nguyen Duc Chung recommended that local people should stay at home as much as possible from now until April 5. In case there is a need to go out, it is necessary to wear a mask and practice social distancing, remaining about 2 m away from others.

Local companies and organisations were advised to work online and remotely, while restricting unnecessary meetings and requesting participants in necessary meetings to sit far away from each other.

* On the same day, speaking at a teleconference on COVID-19 prevention and control in Ho Chi Minh City, Chairman of the municipal People's Committee Nguyen Thanh Phong said that the next two weeks are an important period for the city in winning the fight against the disease. He suggested local authorities to focus on communications work, which must be put on top priority, to help every citizen be aware of self-protection.

Phong also assigned the Department of Justice to coordinate with the concerned units in studying and proposing the compulsory medical isolation process. The city’s Religious Affairs Department and the Ethnic Minority Committee were suggested to support localities by guiding and ensuring the legitimate requirements of each religious community during the isolation of those subject to medical quarantine.