More transient shelters to be set up soon in Indonesia's catastrophe-devastated areas

Wednesday, 2018-10-17 14:45:44
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

Rescuers work among ruins in Palu, Indonesia, on October 10, 2018. (Photo: Xinhua)
 Font Size:     |  

The government of Indonesia will soon construct over 1,200 barracks to transiently accommodate over 50,000 survivors of quakes and an ensuing tsunami in Central Sulawesi province that killed over 2,000 people last month, a minister said Tuesday, October 16.

The temporary shelters will be provided for the survivors before the construction of permanent shelters completed during a planned 2-year reconstruction and rehabilitation program.

Indonesian Social Welfare Minister Agus Gumiwang said that one barrack would be placed by four families with members of around four people for each family.

The construction of the facilities has been ready, all the materials have been on the location, he said.

Powerful and shallow under-earth quakes of 6.0, 7.4 and 6.1 magnitude and a tsunami devastated the province on September 28. The disasters have forced more than 87,000 people to flee their homes, according to the national disaster management agency.

Minister Gumiwang said that the all the survivors would be facilitated as more barracks would be further constructed for them.

"I think there will be no problem, there will be extension in the construction of the shelters," he said.

Regarding some areas classified as unsafe for settlement due to the soil movement phenomenon of so-called "liquefaction" during the quakes, the minister said that the government would relocate the residents before constructing permanent houses for them.

"It must be avoided a repeat of a mistake by building a settlement on a location which are vulnerable on disaster," he said.

Indonesia is prone to earthquakes as it lies on a vulnerable quake-affected areas of called the Pacific Ring of Fire.

Xinhua