EU says "fully prepared" for no-deal Brexit

Saturday, 2019-03-30 12:41:42
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

Illustrative Image
 Font Size:     |  

In wake of Friday (March 29)'s defeat of the Brexit deal in the British House of Commons, the European Commission said the European Union is now fully prepared for a "no-deal" Brexit.

British lawmakers earlier in the day voted to reject Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit deal, which has already been rejected twice in Parliament since January. May said after the vote that the implications of the outcome are "grave".

In Brussels, the European Commission, the EU's executive branch, said it regrets the negative vote in the House of Commons and now the default Brexit date is April 12.

"It will be for the UK to indicate the way forward before that date, for consideration by the European Council," it said in a statement.

"A 'no-deal' scenario on 12 April is now a likely scenario. The EU has been preparing for this since December 2017 and is now fully prepared for a "no-deal" scenario at midnight on 12 April," it said.

"The EU will remain united. The benefits of the Withdrawal Agreement, including a transition period, will in no circumstances be replicated in a 'no-deal' scenario. Sectoral mini-deals are not an option."

"In view of the rejection of the Withdrawal Agreement by the House of Commons, I have decided to call a European Council on 10 April," Donald Tusk, President of the European Council, wrote on Twitter.

Xinhua